Thursday, June 15, 2017

Day 392 - Thankful Thursday





As a part of active recovery, a gratitude list is paramount for me.

I've completed a month long thankful list in November here on the blog for at least two years.
Why not make it a weekly thing??  
I can't think of a reason not to.  

What I want to do here is not just be thankful for the easy stuff (although that does have a place)...but I want to take the negative and spin it positive.
So, no negatives here.  Only positive.

Here we go:

1. AA - I attended my first meeting last night.  Even though I've been sober for 13 months, I've never been to an AA meeting.  
My group is called Sobriety Sisters.
I wasn't sure I needed them, but I'm sure now.
Wow.



2.  Book lovers - book bloggers
book, books, glorious books...stories, words, escaping to other places and new adventures.
Did I mention books?




3.  Zeke and Layla - dogs, y'all...cats too...but dogs.  They love me.  Truly there's nothing I could do to make them dislike me.  They don't judge me.  They worry about me.




4. The Free Press - I see the free press as integral to our democracy...and keeping American citizens informed of the goings on amongst those we've voted into office.
I'm from Mississippi.
Our votes don't count anywhere near as much as votes from California.
Instead of wining about that, however, I look to the free press to inform me of the facts, yes, even their ideas and analysis of the facts, but I, the informed citizen, make the final decision.  
Facts are facts, and I take them as such.  
Analysis is analysis, assumptions are assumptions, possibilities are possibilities...and the informed American citizen has to deal with those as well.
I teach composition to college students. 
You should see what they take as TRUTH sometimes.
Is it such a bad idea for us to have to think every once in while?
I like thinking.
I'm thankful that I live in a country where I can think whatever I want.



5.  3 Branches of Government - politics schmolitics....that may not be a positive phrase...
I'm trying...I really am.  
I'm learning more about politics.
I'm remembering the basics that were introduced to me in my government classes.
I'm applying those basics to the volatile situation that is U.S. politics right now.
No matter which way we lean, we surely can all agree that the political air around us all is wrought with drama.
Stay positive, Peppermint.
No matter which way we lean, we appreciate that one person or one unbridled group cannot make decisions on their own without going through a checks and balances system.
The authors of our Constitution knew that in order for us not to fall under the regime of a monarchy again, that no man (or woman) should be given all power.
The system is set up the way it is set up for a reason.





6.  Pantsuit Politics - plenty of "nuance"  - the ladies at Pantsuit Politics discuss politics from both sides of the argument...and do it without yelling, losing their minds, or sacrificing their friendship.
Whoa Nelly, right?
They purposely compliment the other side at least once during their podcasts :)
Could be possibly where I got the idea of turning things into positives.



**Added note: After I typed this today, I listened to Tuesday's podcast on my way to the grocery store.  The nuance was touch and go for a while, y'all...so much so that I sat in my car for a few minutes to make sure things ended up ok.
The ladies are tired :(
I'm thankful for them anyway though...and thankful the weekend is almost here!




No comments:

Post a Comment